7.02.2009

The domestic flight to Nanyuki allows max 15 kg of checked luggage, but doesn’t weigh your carry on, so I transfer my paper and heavy equipment to my backpack, which now feels like I’m transporting bowling balls. Get to little domestic airport early, which despite its somewhat ramshackle outward appearance, has a great little café upstairs. You can watch the little planes come and go with enjoying a decent cup of coffee. Land in Nanyuki without a problem, and am happy to wait for my ride, as it means hanging out at even more beautiful airport café. Soon after, the familiar Prado rolls in, and out roll some familiar and new faces. So nice to be able to reconnect folks I haven’t seen for almost a year! We enjoy some eats at the café, and head into town to run some errands. Arrive at the station, and am a little sad to see I don’t have the same banda (lucky #7) that I’ve had the two previous visits. I’m off in the small grouping of newer bandas on the north end of the station. I get a larger banda, designed to house 4 people, to myself. I’m also next door to a good friend. I unpack and catch up with folks at sundowners on lookout rock. I catch up with the wild dog researcher, who know has her own house at Mpala, and get a dinner invitation. I hear all about her recent wedding, and we excitedly share details of our upcoming adventures: her new job on a new ranch followed by plans to road-trip it through Europe, and my new gig on Charismas Island. I get to catch up with Talek the ridgeback, who’s now a hefty boy, and learn he’s recently been barking at night, kept up by the hyenas on the veranda, chewing his bone on his bed. It’s great to be back.

No comments: