1.03.2008

Another post-doc and I exchange emails about possibly traveling on the 14th. Receive email that the research station is experiencing fuel and water shortages, meaning even if one can arrive safely, there is no fuel to drive research vehicles into the field. Perhaps we should go along with a domestic project planning gathering? Other post-doc confirms her new itinerary for travel on the 14th… if things don’t look good then, back-up plan is to meet in VT. Call NWA to change itinerary (again). After 20 min wait, get transferred to international agent who is clueless. I inform her that a fellow traveler was able to change her tickets and had $200 transfer fee waived. I repeat myself numerous times and am thrice put on hold while she tried to figure it out. At one point she asks me how the fee was waived the last time I ticket transferred. I have no idea; I don’t work for NWA. I reply, I have no idea. After another 20 minutes I have successfully, fee-freely transferred tickets. I still need to book a room in Nairobi and buy a plane ticket from Nairboi to Nanyuki. I write my Smithsonian sponsor to delay my visit.

No comments: