1.23.2008

Spend entirety of day looking at ant ID key, organizing information and looking up myrmecological vocabulary such as “propodeal nodes” and “hypopygium.”

Spend some time looking up exercises I can do in and around my banda. Hoping to be able to run, but stories of a man eviscerated by a buffalo while running around the Centre have dampened those aspirations. Able to do a little sprinting and plyometrics, and it feels great to be moving again. Between the inactivity and the mile high elevation, I’m huffing and puffing.

When I first came back to banda in the afternoon, door was closed, but the baggie full of food was compromised again. And now a highway of ants has come in to play clean up. (Finally) remove food from banda and kill off the ants. Funny how you (well, me) will toil in the hot sun to sample ant diversity, and then come home to extirpate the tramp species.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you travel halfway around the world to study ants.. only to kill them when they try to steal your shit?

Anonymous said...

Wow, there a lot of wildlife up there. How far's the Wal-mart? Is there a quicky mart? Is there petrol there. Do you play with any exotic reptiles. When you get your lunchtime crash, are you only eating Powerbars?

How long does a fellow have before Smith and Sonia pull out the blanket of funds?

Thanks for the E-mail. I'll get back to ya later. Cora resents that you left your Dog (Buddy?), but quarantine is really long and he might have ended up as bait. Smith and Sonia probably would not have paid either. I'm happy for you and will look in on this blog once in a moon. Grant

Anonymous said...

Witty-I love this blog. It is so entertaining and so fun to hear about everything you are seeing and experiencing there. Wow, it is amazing to me. Those pictures are awesome too...I hope you are doing well and feeling well. I chuckled at your gastrointestinal reference and also the story of your rodent visitors eating your food. Hope you are enjoying your boxed wine tonight! It is snowing and below zero here in good old Wisconsin. Remember when we used to go to the bars without coats in this weather? I'm such a wimp now! LOL. Okay thats all for now. Love, Erin (formally known as Shady Spice)