1.26.2008

Hurray for podcasts! Listen to an episode of “Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me”, per my usual Saturday morning. Send out an exchange of emails to coordinate work and get permission to work in the glades (=large green open areas that were used to enclose and feed cattle). Take a picture of a African paradise flycatcher hanging out by the lab.

Do some laundry. The research station has laundry service, but apparently it’s Kenyan custom to wash your own ‘delicates.’ So I fill up a bucket with soap and water and for one of the few times in my life, truly ‘hand-wash’ my garments.





Spy a beautiful Red-headed rock agama lizard thermoregulating during my chores. Learn that they are dark brown at night, and the dominant male will change colors during the day. When a male fights his head turns brown and white spots appear on his body.

Meet some fresh blood at lunch – a couple birders just arrived. One’s here for a week, the other for 6 months. Do the perfunctory ‘Where ya from, how long ya here for?’ and they seem pretty nice.

The power adapter that my computer is hooked up as been crackily for a while. I unplug it and shake about 30 small dead ants out of it, which seems to solve the problem.

Take a drive and find a spot by the river which is rocky and turbulent, an area apparently crocodiles don’t frequent. See some Vervet monkeys in the trees on the other side of the bank, and at one point there’s a mass exodus and they’re flying off the tree. We leave at dusk and are a bit of a ways away from the station, and I need to visit the little girls room of the wilderness. Need to find open-ish area so I can see what’s roaming around, as dusk is when many carnivores start their prowl, and I’m looking to keep all my limbs.

Listen to Cat Stevens ‘Another Saturday Night’ and I can’t get it out of my head. Guess it’s my theme song tonight. Finish off the day watching an episode of “Planet Earth” which features the rare occasion of lions taking down an elephant. Captivating and hard to watch at the same time.

1 comment:

mikey said...

Something oddly hilarious in the thought of you working out in the savnnah with Cat Stevens running through your head. Juxtaposition of discovery of newness with superfamiliarity.