7.29.2008

Set more nectar bags, Barnard does an amazing job finding and collecting ants returning with food bits. Snap a shot of him with his big ole grasshopper find. At lunch see wild dog researcher has returned from holiday, as well as Talak, the now humungous Rhodesian ridgeback. After lunch we stretch out on cool floor in dining area together. Awwww. Dogs.


First day back on the job she discovers one of the African wild dog’s collars is transmitting the ‘dead’ signal. She goes out and finds it, and follows it up with a necropsy. I get to play photographer and witness all the gory details (Warning: the following is not for the squeamish)

After prepping, investigate the dog (old alpha male) for the cause of death.





The puncture wounds in the neck and chest probably did him in, especially considering his worn teeth wouldn’t have helped much in the fray.






















After taking a short break after cutting the first incision, the chest is opened up, and we start to get a peek inside the bloated belly.

















Meanwhile the field assistant is skinning the skull, which produces a very freaky looking result.
















The rain clears, and I take a breather. Including holding up the rainbow.












Return to see the stomach contents. And a lovely view of the small intestines. Tapeworms included.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

while I'm very impressed at the strength it must take to hold the rainbow up in the sky like that... I'm not sure that you are wearing the mask properly. although I am no expert and certainly not Janesville's foremost authority on ants.

Unknown said...

I (and by I, I mean Bill Kilpatrick) have a colony of beatles in my fume hood that'll clean that skull right up in a couple of days...