2.29.2008

Over breakfast learn of the swelling village population (likely related to access of free, clean water).

View a lion in the bush!




See director while running, get the thumbs up. Later learn that whenever she runs the security folks run behind her, report on the radio that ‘mama is running.’

Some researchers throw a celebration in the village. Traditional cooking with a huge vat of boiled sheep, ugali, rice, and cabbage cooked in the biggest pots I’ve ever seen. First all the kids lined up (a ton of them!) with their little bowls in hand. Then the Whities and then the Kenyan adults. Next a few speeches in English, Swahili, and Turkana (the main tribe of folks here). Then the kids did some singing and stomping/moshing and then the men did some dancing. They got in a half circle, sang, and then two or three of them would jump in unison into the center and back. All of this illuminated by a little fire and a few lanterns in the trees.

Now I'm covered in sheep grease and dust from sitting on the ground and I think I have half an animal stuck in my teeth. Off to wash my hands and floss my gums...

No comments: