2.06.2008

Spend day sorting through ant samples, trying to get a handle on specie identifications. Long slow process interjected with fabulous moments of understanding. Every once in a while come across a crazy looking one that I can’t wait to figure out. And then a sample filled with hundreds of specimens to sort.

Looks like I’ll be going to an Entomology conference in South Africa (Durban) in July and looking to extend it into a little vacation. More I read about the area the more excited I get. Stumble across a trekking guide to the Drakensberg mountains which recommends a little B&B (the ‘Antbear,’ coincidentally enough) which looks amazing. Off the beaten path in a beautiful location and which embraces sustainability, local foods, and a home-cooked international menu. Sign me up!

1 comment:

mikey said...

Long slow process interjected with fabulous moments of understanding reminds me of highschool orhestra reheasals. Setting obviously completely different, but the words provided immediate recall of the feeling when it sounded perfect for a couple of measures. Envious of your Durban trip.