6.15.2008

Listened to A Prairie Home Companion as I went to sleep last night, and I felt like Garrison Keillor was telling me a lullaby. Must have worked, too, because I have a great night of sleep and wake up feeling like I’m in my own bed at home. It’s Sunday so we have some breakfast meat choices and the bacon-like meat is pretty good. Order up some french toast and slather it in bananas and honey.

Scope out the scene for a cribbage game and I get two bites. After playing for a bit I make the comment “weird to play cards and not be drinking beer.” Well, we remedy that in hurry. Rationale: it’s midnight on Saturday! (ah, west coast time). After two games we try to think of other three person card games and “asshole” is suggested. Each round the Pres makes a new rule, and by the end of it we can’t say ‘you,’ can’t refer to ourselves in the first person, have to finish sentences with the last word repeated twice, and have to use our newly christened names of ‘hobs,’ ‘oaf,’ and ‘that guy’ (=mine). Unfortunately/fortunately at 13:00 lunch breaks up the revelry.

After lunch hang out in the banda and crank out making mesh bags while listening to “This American Life” and “Wait, Wait… Don’t Tell Me.” Have a little “Happy Father’s Day!” skype and head off to dinner.

2 comments:

Portia said...

Ah, it's so good to hear tales of the Smithsonian's research dollars hard at work...

careersoxfan said...

When I first read this, I somehow missed the asshole rules thing and thought you were implying that you all just got really drunk, because all those things (incapable of referring to self in first-person, repeating the last word of a sentence twice, etc...) sound like things I do when I get shithoused. But I guess that's what all good asshole rules should do, eh? Will be sure to use them in my next game...